Thursday, August 17, 2006

Buigiri

Settling into Dodoma over last few days. The weather has been very much as it was in 2002: not overly hot but a clear blue sky and very clear, with a merciless sun from directly overhead anytime from about 10am until around 5pm. Hats are very definitely required. Today we booked our tickets back to Dodoma, which was a turning point in the trip. In some ways it feels as though we have reached our furthest point out from Billericay. The lady insisted on writing my passport number on each of the tickets, and taking my mobile telephone number (though it doesn't work). My name was written on each ticket, variously as COCKRORT, CORKROT, CORTCROT, but I dare say we shall get there. Each ticket needed to be written out by hand so I had plenty of time to admire her style. Peter says we have booked the cheap bus, but that there is little or no difference between the two prices anyway. Today we visited the blind school at Buigiri. As you would expect there is a high proportion of albino children there, most of whom were dreadfully sunburned. I suppose the fact that over half the staff, in cluding the headmaster, are blind, does not help them to manage this. Julie and I donated a small sum to allow the school to buy a uniform broad brimmed hat for those most at risk. We heard a very good small choir sing "Lord I lift your name on high" in English. They lack musical instruments, but still try to teach music. Musical and academic achievement are the two ways in which visually impaired people can achieve independence in Tanzania. I left my violin at the school, hoping that someone will be able to teach it, though I have not seen or heard any others whilst we have been here. Please pray that there will be a pupil willing to learn and someone capable of teaching. I had become quite attached to what is actually a nice instrument, and leaving it was harder than I would have imagined, even though the aim in bringing it was to leave it here. At least the rest of the group will not have to put up with my playing any more.
Tomorrow we are visiting Msalato, and hope to meet Emmanuel Petro,Theresia his wife, and Fredrick Lwambaga. We also hope to see the church at Ilolo. Margaret sends her fondest greetings to Geoff and Jean Miskin.

John

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home